John Pool's Lab
Population Genomics and the Genetic Basis of Adaptive Evolution
Laboratory of Genetics, University of Wisconsin - Madison
> Research <
> People <
> Publications <
> Genomes <
> Why Study
> Why Flies? <
> Contact Info <
> Want to Join? <
* The Pool Lab welcomes Chris McAllester as a new PhD student! (Lab Directory)
* John and the flies appeared on the Whad'ya Know Podcast! To watch, you'll want to skip ahead in this VIDEO - the show starts at 1:41:45, and John's interview starts at 2:11:22.
* You can also watch John's tenure seminar HERE.
* Two pair! We have *4* new papers accepted: 2 at Genetics and 2 at MBE!
(1) A new bulk segregant QTL analysis method, at Genetics [PDF]
(2) An application of that method to the parallel evolution of melanism, at Genetics [PDF]
(3) Our new Drosophila Genome Nexus release mentioned below, at MBE [PDF]
(4) A population genomic analysis of parallel cold tolerance evolution at MBE [PDF]
John's TAGC talk on papers (1) and (2) can be found HERE.
* We are excited to announce version 1.1 of the Drosophila Genome Nexus, which features 1,122 genomes from wild-derived D. melanogaster strains! DGN page
* Amir is co-first author on a study accepted by Current Biology, showing that a transcription factor was involved in three separate origins of female-limited pigmentation dimorphism among D. montium group species! (ARTICLE) (Press Release)
* The Pool Lab welcomes Yuheng Huang as a new postdoctoral researcher! (Lab Directory)
* New in PNAS: Amir Yassin led our description and population genomic analysis of a newly discovered island population of Drosophila yakuba that specializes on a toxic fruit, probably using some of the same genes that its relative D. sechellia did to accomplish the same trick on a different island! (ARTICLE) (Press Release) (John's talk at Evolution 2016)
* In related news, congratulations to Amir for earning a prestigious (and permanent) CNRS-funded faculty position at the Muséum National d'Histoire Naturelle in Paris!
* Vedika received a Sophomore Research Fellowship for her population genomic analysis of olfactory receptor genes!
* We have two significant new papers, as featured in a recent UW press release! Our PNAS paper shows that wing size evolution in Ethiopian flies was accompanied by a loss of developmental canalization. Our Nature Communications paper shows the genetic basis of a female-specific color dimorphism under ancient balancing selection. Believe it or not, the latter paper is now the subject of a Shakespearean sonnet! On Samuel Illingworth's blog, you can read or hear "Rough in Love".
* John's paper on natural selection shaping the ancestry of North American D. melanogaster is online at MBE! (LINK)
* Our Drosophila Genome Nexus paper is published by Genetics! (PDF)
* The Pool Lab welcomes Jeremy Lange as a new PhD student!
* Our paper on environmental correlates of Drosophila pigmentation has been published!
* Our "Drosophila Genome Nexus" has >600 consistently aligned D. melanogaster genomes!
* The Pool Lab welcomes Quentin Sprengelmeyer as a new PhD student!
* Congratulations to Nicole Bangart, Evan Johanning, & Jeremy Lange on their graduation!
* The lab receives a five year R01 grant from NIH/NIGMS!
Justin receives an NIH Kirschstein postdoctoral fellowship!
The Pool Lab welcomes two new postdocs - Héloïse Bastide and Amir Yassin!
Our new Drosophila population genomics study is published at PLoS Genetics!
Ryuichi receives a postdoctoral fellowship from the government of Japan!
Justin receives a GSTP postdoc traineeship!
Justin Lack arrives as a new postdoc!
Ryuichi Sugino arrives as a new postdoc!
The lab is born!